Newchapel Scouts: History

Tunstall Beavers, Cubs, Scouts

 

Scouting started in North Staffordshire in 1908, with the formation of 3 scout troops, in Hanley and Porthill. Tunstall was close behind with a scout troop, also in 1908. They had their HQ in the old stable and coach house at Brownhills house. Scouts in North Staffordshire have a fine campsite at Kibblestone near Stone, where there are facilities for many activities- under canvas or in shelters in the winter time.

The 59th, Newchapel Scout Group was formed in May 1928 by Mr W.J Hodby, the Rev. J.L Monk and Mr T. Broad. The vicar at Newchapel church, Rev Monk was the first group Scoutmaster and Mr Broads the first Scoutmaster. Mr Broad gained his Woodbadge and had a Thumbstick presented to him by B.P. We still have the Thumbstick in the group.

Newchapel Scouts gained the nickname “The Fighting Fifty-ninth” for their endeavour and readiness to get stuck into any activity. Years ago we used St James’ Church Sunday School as our Headquarters, but now we have our own H.Q in Rainford Close, Packmoor.

More information?

Find below the history of the movement